Stories from Main Street: Youth Engagement and Skill-Building
What is It?
Each Winter, young people across the country engage their communities to discover and digitally document their unique history by utilizing new professional equipment. Organizations hosting a MoMS exhibition are invited to submit a proposal for Stories: YES.Learn More
Stories: YES occurs in Winter/Spring but it can be implemented either before or after an organization hosts their exhibition.
- MoMS exhibitions provide the subject framework for youth digital stories.
- Video stories are most common and the ideal length is 3-5 minutes each.
- Participation has been successful with youth aged 5th to 12th grade.
Click here for a program overview and story examples.
Watch the Stories: YES introductory webinar (20 minutes) or view the slides.
Stories: YES can effect community engagement in impressive ways. Review highlights from the 2016 evaluation, including impacts on youth and their communities.
BEFORE Stories: YES 34% of kids agreed that adults listened to young people. AFTER Stories: YES 82% agreed that adults listen to young people.
Stories: YES is a flexible program, designed to work with your organization's existing resources. Its goal is to help you strengthen or develop new relationships, particularly with kids, youth groups, teachers, or schools.
Youth connect with and appreciate the value of local host organizations:
- Learn research and interviewing skills through host organization resources or other partner resources.
- Learn how to create a nonfiction narrative, creating a connection to local history and understanding its significance.
- Learn how to participate professionally in the community.
- Learn how to use new equipment and software to develop a digital story.
The Proposal Guidelines contain detailed submission information such as what things to consider as you answer the Proposal questions. Download in the following formats:
For the 2018 cycle, proposals are due on June 2nd, 2017. You will be informed by July if your proposal has been selected to move forward with Stories: YES. Click here for more information.
Submit your proposal to Shannon Sullivan, Stories: YES Program Coordinator at email@example.com.